Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Beauty With a Conscience: Ojon Ultra Hydrating Shampoo

Ultra Hydrating Shampoo




Happy Thursday, Mommies!

Time to talk hair!

So recently, I decided to stop relaxing my hair and embrace my inner curly girl. It was a huge step for me because I've always had a little bit of an aversion to haircare. Relaxing my hair ensured that I didn't have to think about it much, and it made my hair care routine extra simple. Strange disposition for a product junkie, but I just can't seem to bring my self to care about it that much, and I still don't, actually!

I do, however, care about my Lovebug. Her texture is kinky/curly (type 3 in the front, type 4 in the back) and really thick. It was while researching products for her natural hair (more on those later) that I decided to stop relaxing. I began to wonder what kind of message I would be sending her by stressing the beauty of her hair texture while suppressing my own. Needless to say, it was time for a change!

During my research I discovered that shampooing is a big faux pas in the natural hair world. Apparently they're very drying and have a tendency to strip the hair. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not giving up my shampoo! Never! Thankfully, I came across Ojon.




The common denominator to all Ojon products is the Ojon oil, which is harvested from the Ojon trees in Central America by the Miskito Indian tribe. In their native tongue, they're known as "Tawira", or "the people of beautiful hair" (source).  The oil is the Miskito tribe's main form of both haircare and skincare, and it shows. Take a look at their photos and read their story here.

Mommies, I was seriously budgeting for this haircare line. Not only because of the product claims, but because the Ojon Corporation  reinvests to help preserve the rain forest, as well as provide nutrition and  educational opportunities for the Tawira people (source).  Beauty with a conscience, gotta love it. Thankfully, there was no budgeting required because my own Mommy really loves me and surprised me with this shampoo. Thanks, Mommy!

Anyhoo, this is a product review, not a PSA. Here's the skinny on Ojon Ultra Hydrating Shampoo:

Thumbs Up!

  • Thick texture ( like honey), but very workable
  • Lovely cocoa butter-like scent
  • Does not lather, so its not as drying as lathering shampoo
  • Availability (Sephora, Ojon.com, and Easy Pay on QVC, baby!)
  • It didn't strip my hair. When I rinsed, my hair felt clean but still smooth, and my curls were well formed, not fuzzy.
  • Supports the Miskito Tribe, producers of the Ojon Oil.

Thumbs Down!

  • Still contains sulfates, which are known drying agents. If you have really dry hair, you might want to go with sulfate free shampoos.
  • Price ($18.00 for 8.44 oz)
I'll also be reviewing the Ojon Restorative Treatment in the near future!

Stay Beautifully Conscious, Mommies!
photo source

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Ojon Restorative Treatment... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The restorative treatment is pure love! Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm a huge fan of your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Veronica Hurly's "Delightful" kit.