Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mommy Talk: Really Cute or Really Disturbing?

Shoes




Ok, so I'll be the first to admit that I think its super cute when a little girl imitates her mom. I've taken plenty of pics of my Lovebug painting her face, talking on her plastic cell phone, and swaddling her little brown baby dolls. Not to mention that every opportunity she gets, she dons jewelry, lip gloss, and nail polish, and I'm more than happy to oblige. There are plenty of people who would disagree with this kind of practice, but as long as its just for playtime, I'm totally cool.

But where exactly do we draw the line between really cute and really raunchy?

Take a look at Exhibit A...







My heart dropped into my stomach when I saw this video. I'm not a prude by any means, but I was taken aback by the overt sexuality in her dance moves. This wasn't just a child playing on a metal pole, but a child performing moves that she had been taught, and made to repeat over and over again until the cameraman got the best shot.

The source of this video, WorldStarHipHop.com, named the child's own mother as the person operating the camera. I can't confirm whether this is actually true but if it is, Mama's got some 'splainin to do.

Teaching, recording, uploading...its all a conscious act. But why? Why not record your child saying something funny, or making a silly face? Why a stripper routine? I can think of a million things that my daughter does that I'd love to share with the world, but pedophile fodder is not one of them.

One of my Facebook friends sent me this via message, and at first I wondered why she didn't just post it as a link on her page for everyone to look at, like we always do. Then it dawned on me. If one person posts it, then another will, then another. And each time, the child will be exploited. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Veronica Hurly's "Delightful" kit.